Monday, February 9, 2009

Goodbye for now, Declan

Declan du Toit was born on June 14 June 2008 at 10 am - a gorgeous blonde bundle. Mom and Dad, Gillian and Daryl, were thrilled to bits and took him home to begin their new exciting (daunting?) adventure as parents.

Life can throw curve balls when you least expect it....

At 10 days old, Declan, was diagnosed with a a malignant tumor which appeared to be growing from the back of his eye. And so his - and Gill and Daryl's - tough journey towards full health began.

God, in His wisdom, took Declan home last night.

From his website:Monday, February 09, 2009

Hello all my special friends

Last night at 11.10 pm I left to go and be with my Daddy in the sky. A beautiful angel called Michael, with massive wings and a brilliant white glow all about him came to fetch me and held my hand as we flew through the sky. He has been with me for some time now but last night he said it’s time to go home.

Mommy and Daddy held me in their arms as I left and the rest of the family were standing in the room with me. What a welcome I got when I arrived. Open arms and hugs and tears of joy cos I have no more pain. The monster stayed behind on earth and I can see beautifully from 2 open eyes. I can even run around and there are just so many toys here. Today I plan to go for my first swim in the sea with fishies and star fishies and the angels told me I will even be able to breathe under water.

Thank you so much for all your love and support and for walking my road with me. My family and I could never have done it alone and we just don’t have words to explain how much your love, encouragement, faith and strength have meant to us.

Mommy promised me a party when I got better so I am holding her to it. Mommy will put the details on my site and it will probably be towards the end of this week and you are all welcome to come.

Mommy and Daddy promised me to continue the work I started for other kids fighting monsters so please don’t stop coming to my site. There is still lots to do. Instead of flowers and such things, I am asking you to sign up for our Bone Marrow drive and Mommy will put more details on the site later.

This is Declan signing out. I love you all lots and I know it’s hard for the people who stay behind to understand, but be strong, cos I am in a place now where I understand everything, I understand how loved I was on earth and I understand and am experiencing true peace for the first time in my little life.

Love,
Declan
7 months, 3 weeks and 4 days
Now, every day will be a perfect day of love together with Jesus
~~~~

Mommy got this poem from Uncle Jason and I asked her to put it on my site cos its just too beautiful and sums everything up so nicely.

Do not despair my short lived stay,
Every Angel must away.
Cry two tears, but then no others,
Love and Hope have been my brothers.

And now we three must leave this world,
Not alone, but bound as one.
Destined for a glorious home,
Unbound from this monster I have known.

There for you, we all shall wait,
Open heart at heavens gate.
In perfect health, and happy ways,
To reunite for all our days.

http://www.statmedical.co.za/all-hands-on-dec/about_dec.html

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ag, dit breek mens se hart.

Jan and Miekie said...

Ag hoe ruk dit aan my hart Mariki! Wat 'n troos darem dat 'n mens weet hy is huis toe! Hoe verskriklik as 'n mens nie van die Huis en die Pa geweet het nie! 'n Partytjie om sy tuiskoms te vier? Dit klink darem na 'n baie dapper en moeilike ding om te doen, maar natuurlik moet 'n mens eintlik iemand se tuiskoms vier! "This is Declan signing out." Dis sooo treffend gestel - 'n mens kan nie help om trane in jou oe te kry nie.

Desia said...

God se genade is groot. Watter berusting vir die ouers om te weet waar Declan nou is en dat hulle om weer gaan sien.

mariki said...

Ja julle, stem. As ons darem nie 'n Here gehad het om aan vas te hou nie....

Nimsi se Blog said...

Lanklaas so lekker uit my siel uit gehuil...
Wat n wonderlike vertroostende wete dat Declan nou veilig, gesond en gelukkig by Jesus is.

Nimsi

Oom Petrus said...

Hallo Mariki,
Hierdie is iets wat elke ouer se hart sal breek. Declan se ouers moet net aan ons dierbare Here Jesus vashou in hierdie tyd.Hy het geweet wanneer om hom huistoe te neem, want dit moes 'n lyding gewees het

Huisvrou said...

Mariki!!
Genugtig maar daar is darem baie eina in hierdie ondermaanse.
Vandag ook gehoor van ouers wat hul 21-jarige moet begrawe na dwelms en satanisme....
As 'n mens 'n kindjie moet begrawe...

Om as gelowige jou baba te kan begrawe in die wete dat jou geloof hom omarm, hom deel maak van die Groter Gesin. Maar om as gelowige jou ongelowige kind te begrawe...

------joe------

Mens sal in hierdie lewe nooit verstaan nie, maar dank die Vader dis net "for now"

mariki said...

Ek huil so in my hart saam, Nimsie, oor die ouers se gemis, maar onderstreep dik wat julle almal sê oor die troos in die Here.

En dankie, Huisvrou, dit help om weer te hoor: dis "net for now".

Muriel said...

Ek sit met trane in my oë!

mariki said...

Is, né, Muriel.